Made with ♥ by Avi

Canada is banning equipment from China’s Huawei and ZTE, data breach?


Featured Image Office Snapshots

Canada is now banning 4G and 5G telecom equipment from Chinese companies Huawei and ZTE. This decision came after a three-year review that was delayed by political tensions with China after Huawei CFO Meng Wanzhou was arrested in Canada on a US warrant. François-Philippe Champagne, Canada’s innovation minister said, “Our government will always protect the safety and security of Canadians and will take any actions necessary to safeguard our critical telecommunications infrastructure,”

via: The Caravel

“We’re disappointed but not surprised. We’re surprised it took the government so long to make a decision. We see this as a political decision, one born of political pressure primarily from the United States.” Alykhan Velshi, a Huawei spokesperson told The Guardian.

Canada’s two largest wireless providers, Bell and Pella, switch to Ericsson and Nokia equipment in 2020, building their next-generation 5G networks. However, both operators have some Huawei 5G equipment in place as part of a non-standalone 5G network integrated with previous 4G networks. These 4G networks were also built using Huawei equipment as the company sold over $700 million in equipment to Canadian operators in 2018.

via: ccnull.de

Both operators reportedly approached the federal government in the past to ask for compensation from taxpayers for the political removal of Huawei or ZTE gear. The CEO of a smaller northern operator, Iristel previously said that a requirement to remove it with existing equipment would be catastrophic. However, Champagne did say that operators will be required to remove any Huawei or ZTE gear at their own expense. Existing 5G equipment must be removed or terminated by June 28th, 2024, and any 4G equipment by December 31, 2027.

Canada’s Five Eyes intelligence allies, the United States, Britain, Australia, and New Zealand have already banned Huawei and ZTE wireless equipment. Canada has also faced growing pressure to do the same over fears they could compromise the security of all the five nations.

Canada is banning equipment from China’s Huawei and ZTE, data breach?

Canada is banning equipment from China’s Huawei and ZTE, data breach?


Featured Image Office Snapshots

Canada is now banning 4G and 5G telecom equipment from Chinese companies Huawei and ZTE. This decision came after a three-year review that was delayed by political tensions with China after Huawei CFO Meng Wanzhou was arrested in Canada on a US warrant. François-Philippe Champagne, Canada’s innovation minister said, “Our government will always protect the safety and security of Canadians and will take any actions necessary to safeguard our critical telecommunications infrastructure,”

via: The Caravel

“We’re disappointed but not surprised. We’re surprised it took the government so long to make a decision. We see this as a political decision, one born of political pressure primarily from the United States.” Alykhan Velshi, a Huawei spokesperson told The Guardian.

Canada’s two largest wireless providers, Bell and Pella, switch to Ericsson and Nokia equipment in 2020, building their next-generation 5G networks. However, both operators have some Huawei 5G equipment in place as part of a non-standalone 5G network integrated with previous 4G networks. These 4G networks were also built using Huawei equipment as the company sold over $700 million in equipment to Canadian operators in 2018.

via: ccnull.de

Both operators reportedly approached the federal government in the past to ask for compensation from taxpayers for the political removal of Huawei or ZTE gear. The CEO of a smaller northern operator, Iristel previously said that a requirement to remove it with existing equipment would be catastrophic. However, Champagne did say that operators will be required to remove any Huawei or ZTE gear at their own expense. Existing 5G equipment must be removed or terminated by June 28th, 2024, and any 4G equipment by December 31, 2027.

Canada’s Five Eyes intelligence allies, the United States, Britain, Australia, and New Zealand have already banned Huawei and ZTE wireless equipment. Canada has also faced growing pressure to do the same over fears they could compromise the security of all the five nations.

Enable Optimization for improving page speed on Firefox?

Enabling will throttle your experience throughout the site, you will have reduced animations, no transparency effects, potentially reduced visual harmony. Learn why

You won't be prompted again, but you can change your settings by clicking on the bottom left icon.

We use cookies 🍪 & trackers for analytics & performance. By browsing, you accept our Privacy Policy - Learn more. Exit to opt-out